Wednesday, January 12, 2011

factory farming.

I recently decided that I am going to become a vegetarian, after reading a very sad, and amazingly written book, called Eating Animals.

This was a great decision for me and I feel like many people should atleast read the book.
ok.
The problem is that people love to get defensive when you mention you are a vegetarian. It is so odd.
Me saying "Oh hey I'm trying to transition to a vegetarian lifestyle" apparently translates into "I hate you, and am attacking your eating habits. Die."

no.

chill out.

Also aloha to all new followers! You guys caught me on a venting day :(

What is up with snide remarks from people lately? I don't know if everyone is as sensitive to such comments as I am but I do feel like they are ...evil on purpose..and not me just being paranoid. Then again, not everyone is as obsessed about certain things like I am.

People love to comment on the amount of food I eat. A lot.
"Oh ya chasingsecrets eats EVERYTHING"
"Wow, are you going to eat ALL that cake"
"Oh you know how SHE eats"

Apparently I'm a mack truck who eats lard.
Yay.

These types of comments just make me want to turn into a 80 pound waif and have people tell me to eat MORE. I'm balancing on a very thin line between wonderland and normalcy.
I need to not let people get to me.

I also feel like a lot of overweight people.. (this might be offensive idk.) get really pissed off when I tell them I'm dieting. They love to point out, quite meanly,when I'm falling off the diet..and then they love to tell me how I don't exercise enough..or I'm eating too much lettuce or something. And when I order a salad after they order a burger....I feel like I killed their first born. There have been many times where I've felt like I offended someone, and then I just order some damn french fries.
Same with the vegetarian thing. A lot of people love to point out if the dish I just ate had some meaty ingredient I didn't know about. "Oh I thought you were vegetarian, but you just ate meat..guess you couldn't stick to it." I just don't get it..maybe it makes them feel better about themselves.

 It makes me want to shove tofu up their nose.



p.s. not ALL overweight people are like that! These have mostly been my family members and friends who do this. I'm not trying to put anyone in a box.

3 comments:

  1. I've been a vegetarian for years, and yes, some people unfortunately (and for some reason I cannot fathom) feel threatened by it. I don't get that, never have. Even worse is when they ask you why you're vegetarian -- note, *they* are opening the dialogue, but if you try to explain it (in the most innocuous and non-offensive way you can) they can *really* take offense.

    My solution? When they ask, I just say, "Read 'Skinny Bitch' and then we'll talk." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I'm sorry!

    And I'm a vegan and people just LOVE trying to pick fights with me. I agree with small's solution... just don't go there. It never ends well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Me saying "Oh hey I'm trying to transition to a vegetarian lifestyle" apparently translates into "I hate you, and am attacking your eating habits. Die."

    no.

    chill out. "

    This so much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete